Running Away to Brighton

Work means stress, and eventually it became too much for me.
On the morning of 7th August 2018 I woke at about 3:00am and was suddenly excited.
I felt wide awake and full of beans.
I had an idea.

I got up and turned the computer on.
I had a plan – it was work that day, but instead, I wanted to go to the seaside.
The weather was good, i.e. warm or even hot. What a sumer we’d been having that year.
I thought of places you could get to the seaside on the train and started researching.
I was trying to get to Llandudno.
I tried booking the tickets for a train at 04:38, but I was too late – you couldn’t pick up a ticket if the time to the train leaving is short, and it was too short.

A change of tack was needed
I looked at trains in the other direction.
Down to the south
Down to Brighton, which I know well (and has a nudist beach).
And bingo – I found it.
Your train leaves at 06:03 from Platform 5

So I had to prepare myself
I put on my blue loin cloth and packed a back with something to read and other essentials like cigars, a shirt, a notebook and a camera.
I had loads of time and it was just beginning to get light.
200 yards down the street I saw a black cat by a wall. He looked so cute, I took his picture.
The suddenly, I realised I had missed a trick. It would be a whole lot better if I had my guitar.
So I hot footed it (barefoot) back home and got it.
Start again.

As I approached the station I put a letter through a friends door explaining that I’d run away to the seaside and asking him to telephone work to say that I wouldn’t be in today. (I was supposed to be).

At the train station I collected my ticket from the machine and went to sit outside. I had about 35 minutes until the train was due.
I took out my guitar and started to play
As I started on ‘The Cricket’s Song’ I realised that that song is about being naked in the forest and I was wearing my loin cloth, so I took off the loin cloth and played the song totally naked, as is appropriate
I put the loin cloth back on and played several songs, keeping an eye on the railway behind me.

At the appointed hour I put on my shirt on too and went into the station, to Platform 5 and caught my train.

The train journey was uneventful, as was the tube journey. Then I got on my train on the Brighton Line and settled in a seat in a near empty carriage.
My enthusiasm for the trip had ebbed away and now I began to wonder what on earth was I doing?
I got a phone call from Mike to ask after me (it astonished me that it had taken him this long to get in contact) and I reiterated my doubts about the trip. I said I’d complete my journey and then come home soon.

I got to Brighton and then went to the information desk to get times for trains to return. I got a list, but decided not to return immediately for after all, I was at the seaside. I headed down the hill.

At St. Peter’s church I saw the space where The Warren had had their area that year. Of course, I hadn’t been to Brighton Fringe in 2018. It brought back good and bad memories of my time(s) in Brighton. The grass was very brown, but did seem to be recovering.
I spoke to Mike again.
I wandered down towards the front and went up St. James Street where there are lots of cafes. I went into a cafe that sold Spanish fusion food and bought a spicy Spanish pastie. I talked to the man in there telling him I’d run away. He said to be careful and look after myself.

I took my pasty and went down to the beach.

Brighton Beach
I ate my pasty then found a spot on the beach close to the water.
I took off everything except my breech cloths and went into the water. I was pleasant. I had a little swim, then climbed back out and sat in the sunshine to dry off.

Then I decided that I’d had enough and headed back up towards the station, going through the North Lanes this time.
I contacted Mike to tell ask him to meet me in London because I wasn’t feeling safe. We agreed to meet at Victoria Station.
I got on the train for London.

When I got to London Victoria I was early for meeting Mike so I left the station and went and sat in a small park called Grosvenor Gardens. I found a discarded newspaper and started on the crossword.
When Mike had arrived at Victoria I went looking for him. Found him standing outside another entrance looking the other way.
We went down into the underground and got on a train that was very full up. We sat down.
It was so hot and stuffy I was struggling to breathe, taking great gulps of air.
I was really pleased when we got to Euston and got off the train. I could breathe again.

We got on the train and came back to Rugby.
I walked home.


About augustusnds

I did the normal things people do - worked in an office, bought a house, fell in love, but my love would not marry me, she left me. After this it all spiralled out of control, went mad and ended up in hospital, more than once. So I changed tack, gave up the day job and became an entertaininer: writing, producing and performing my own one-person-shows as well as songs, poems and videos. To see some of what I do look at And I search for a way to be happy in a world that doesn't understand me, as you can see in some of my blogs.
This entry was posted in Nudism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s